Thursday, January 26, 2012

Valentine's Day Heart Garland


Yay! It's time for Valentine's Day. I LOVE all the lovey dovey decorations. I mean, come on... why NOT decorate your living room, bedroom or where ever for love? You don't have to have a romantic significant other to celebrate the day! This day isn't only about romantic love. Say what? "There is more than one kind of love?" I would say "Why, yes! Yes there is more than one type of love." (more on this later).

If your looking to make something on the cheap to impress your 
Ero, Phileo, or even Agape love, then this is a GREAT option!

Supplies:
Felt (single or multiple colors)
Scissors
Thread (I used 2 colors)
Sewing Machine*
Paper
Cat*
Pencil
Straight Pins*
Some spare time
Chocolate*

* denotes that this is NOT a requirement (use a hand needle and
thread if you don't have or know how to use a sewing machine).


{red, hot pink, and sparkly light pink felt}


To start, draw and cut out a template. You could even print a template off the computer! FYI do NOT use fabric scissors on paper (mine were just near by for the photo).

{paper, pencil, scissors}


This is where those straight pins could come in handy. This isn't required and it is an extra step, but it's one I don't mind. Pin your template to the fabric so it doesn't run away screaming wiggle away from you.
Cut all of your felt!


This is what your pile might look like.
Please, humor me and notice how big my pile
becomes in the next 3 photos.

{hearts}

{cat and hearts}

{chocolate, cat and hearts}


My pile started as hearts, became hearts and a cat and then became hearts, a cat and chocolate! Not a bad way to be crafting all. And all of those are necessary if you ask me. ;)


Now comes the sewing machine part. If you do NOT have a machine, thread a needle and string those adorable hearts together. If you DO have a machine, start her up!
I used to different colored threads between my bobbin and "top (is that the right terminology??) thread. Shout out to Carissa for her adorable ideas like two-toned thread! 


Start with one heart (any size). Be sure to create a knot/hold by back stitching at the first and last heart. Feed the heart through the machine. Guide it through however you see fit. I staggered my hearts. To create space between hearts, continue to push the pedal so your shapes become spaced out.

{heart waiting in line}

{sew sew cute}

{two toned}

{variety}

This is the finished result! So fun and sweet.
I would really love one for our bedroom. 

{sweetness}

An up close shot of the fun garland!

{up close}


If you're wondering what the framed pieces the garland is on are, they are mine and Mike's guest "book" from our wedding. We had people put their thumb print and sign their names. I love having this art work in my home that I can see on a daily basis.

I have a challenge for you. Make or do something for your love(s). There are 3 types of love. The obvious love to start with would be your Eros love. This is a "romantic" love.

But why not go further? Make or do some thing for the Philo love in your life!

I'm going to give you what will be an even harder challenge for some. Start with your agape love(s), chose some one (whether or not you're good friends doesn't matter) you know is in need of encouragement.
Be encouraged and loved! Go and spread the love this Valentine's season. 

 You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed 
you so that you might go and bear fruit—fruit that 
will last—and so that whatever you ask in 
my name the Father will give you. 
This is my command: Love each other.
John 15:16-17

Think about it and share the love!

No comments:

Post a Comment