Sunday, July 8, 2012

DIY Embellished Dish Towels

It's time for a tutorial!!! 

It's been a while people!







I have made a few sets of these Embellished Dish Towels. 
This set was for my Great Aunt Lizzy. 
We celebrated her 100th birthday this last weekend!
 I know this seems an odd gift for such a mile stone, but she will be moving into a retirement community and everyone could use new dish towels! 
Ok, moving on!




{supplies}

Here are the supplies you need:
Towel(s)
Fabric(s)
Scissors
Thread
Coordinating ribbon or something similar
Pins
Sewing Machine
Rotary Cutter (optional)
Cutting Board (optional)


Let's get started!


1) Open the dish towel to determine how wide you should cut the fabric.
Be sure to cut it wide enough to "wrap" the edges around 
the sides of towel (you will be sewing it down). 
Cut and pin fabric to towel.


{blurry shot of pinned edges, sorry!}




2) Sew the fabric to the towel. 
Be sure to keep the needle of your sewing machine 
in the "down" position when turning the corner.


{folded corners}

{sewn edges}




3) Cut your ribbon (or other fun accent) the same length of the fabric.
Pin and sew.


{sewing the corners}




4) You're done!

{pretty update}

{bright colors}



Now, go do the same to the other towel and fabric choices you have.
Enjoy your new towel set or give as a fun gift!
Aunt Lizzy loved hers! 




Mitzy helping out as usual. ;)



If anyone has questions about any thing in the tutorial 
(sewing, fabric choosing, whatever) let me know! 

~Emily~




2 comments:

  1. Oh those are so cute! I am so jealous of people like you who are uber crafty. I totally do not enjoy doing stuff like that and it always turns out wrong so I finally just gave up. Wish I had your talent for sure! Just found your blog and have really enjoyed getting to know you better! I'm excited to follow along!

    new follower :)
    bonnie
    bonnielouisa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bonnie!

      I'm glad to have you on board! And thanks for the compliments! I've learned that I just have to slow down and take my time. Some times I have to ask the hubby what he thinks but that isn't usually helpful (in terms of crafting). ;)

      I just checked out your profile and ... I'm good at getting tickets also. haha

      Delete