Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Perspiration + wood = "no-no"

Christmas was on the creative and on the cheap this year. We love our families and really wanted to give them something special.  When you're on a budget it can be really frustrating to not be able to purchase the things you know your loved ones would enjoy. Luckily, I'm at least a little creative (but just a little ;) ...). So what did we make? Drum roll please.... coasters!!

Supplies
Paper of some kind (scrapbook, magazine, photo, etc)
Felt
Ruler
Scissors
Glue gun
Glue sticks
Tiles (square for me and only 16 cents at Home Depot!)
Mod Podge (I used matte finish)
Foam brush
A water proof, clear sealer (I used matte finish)



{supplies}




 <What to look for on the store shelves>



Now get started! You'll do a LOT of cutting, but it goes pretty quick.

{Cut all paper and felt to desired size.
I cut mine to the size of the tile.}


{Apply ModPodge. Don't be shy with it.}


{Set paper on top of ModPodged surface.
Modpodge the top.}

{Try to not get bubbles.The striations are fine.
It doesn't need to be totally smooth.}

Let the Mod Podge dry then spray with your sealer.
This is IMPORTANT!
Mod Podge is water-based. If you do not seal the coasters,
all your beautiful hard work will be down the toilet. 
That would make me come hug you and tell you it's going to be OK so sad!


{Apply felt squares to the bottom with hot glue.}

Feel free to use circles or only do the corners.
 I prefer the felt to cover the entire bottom of the coaster.

Now, give your self a high-five because you are DONE!
Or maybe the cat, kid or friend...
 it could be awkward to high-five yourself. ;)

Enjoy your lovely coasters or have fun giving them as a
birthday, house warming, Christmas or a just-because gift!

Now for the finished product...

{My brother's set. He may be 21
but this combination of designs
will always make me think of him.}

{"To infinity... and beyond!"}


{Add a picture to it!}


{Coaster in action. Don't mind
the half consumedchocolate
milk from the Shatto farm!}


These are your solution to persperation and wood!
It doesn't matter if the issue is in your house or not. ;)
Do you have someone in mind for this gift?
Why not show them some love and make it for them!
I know they would love it!

Happy crafting lovlies.

2 comments:

  1. I'm loving my Christmas coasters, and so is my coffee table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so good to here! I'm so glad you love them. It was fun to pick out the paper/photos that we thought would be best for each person.

      Enjoy!

      Delete