Monday, December 19, 2011

Closet Craziness

Phew. My closet was a MESS!  


See? I can't believe I'm sharing this with the world.


Did you really look,  I mean really LOOK at this!


Pure. Craziness.


This scary, scary place made me frustrated about not being able to find clothes. The sad (or awesome in my opinion) thing is that I wear all of these clothing items. But, I still had to have a "come-to-Jesus" meeting and ditch some of them and figure out a better organizational system.

 
A couple of months ago (I took these photos knowing I would be starting a blog), I was out looking for some sort of solution to the scariness and found this...


It was $5!! That's it!

The very nice man at the thrift store helped me get it in car trunk and tie it down with men's ties (thank you 2nd Chance Thrift!!). I bought some fun paint and went to town. I am by no means a master at redoing furniture but I'm not afraid to do it either. If you want to look at some wonderful furniture redo's check out the RustiChic blog. Anyway, here's what you need for basic redo's. 

Mouse Sander
Sticky Cloth stuff to get the dust off
Paint
Paint brush
Those yellow stands so you get the base good

You also need your piece of furniture... Bookshelf!


A friendly helper... Mitzy the Kitzy


Now, you sand down the piece. All sides, insides and outsides. I like my mouse because I can get in the corners really well. I use a more coarse paper first and then go over it with a finer grit of sand paper to smooth it out. This is where your sticky (tacky?) cloth comes in. Wipe it down with you cloth. Now you're ready to paint!


1st coat of paint

 As you can see... it needed a second coat

I chose a vibrant purple! I knew it would be going in my closet so it could be whatever color I wanted. I honestly thought I was going to choose orange or some obnoxious neon color. But alas, I love my purple.

I didn't get any pictures after the second coat but I do have pictures of my new closet!

My pretty closet! And it still looks like this! 
Bins on top are for scarves, hats, shorts and sweatshirts. 
Don't mind the Target bag... it has Mike's stocking stuffers in it. :)


Yay, organization!

And there you have it world. A super duper fast read on redoing furniture and organization!

What space do you have that need some TLC?

5 comments:

  1. Get it, girl! That looks great. I love the purple color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Purple did not surprise me Em! Thanks for the shout out and happy to see you starting a blog! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like it alot, glad there are more peeps out there that love purple.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah! Purple is a fantastic color. :) One of my faves.

    ReplyDelete